Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The VIP cult-By Shahabad Ramakrishnan


 "Ramu, do you know Girija Prasad?” some ten years ago came a call from Rajam Sastrigal the VIP of last week. In keeping with the tradition of the TDRites to exhibit their VIP connection, (Like the Nair of Murthy’s article) I asked him which Girija Prasad he was referring to.  This was just to impress upon him that I knew too many Girija Prasads, who mattered.  He told me that he wanted admission for his daughter in the B.com course in a college in the MOP Vaishnava College and the Girija Prasad he was referring to was the principal of that college.

I was taking Yoga classes in Haddows Road and Dr.Vijatalakshmi Rao was also learning yoga there.  She was professor in English in MOP Vaishnava College. Her eldest son's marriage was celebrated in Hyderabad.  She took me as well as Dr.Girija Prasad, the Principal of the college for the marriage. We were staying in the same hotel and attended the marriage going in the same car. Moreover I gave a programme about Yoga in their FM channel. With this background, I told Rajam Sastrigal to come to MOP Vaishnava College on a specific date to try for the admission. The previous day, I told the entire matter to Dr Vijayalakshmi and she had agreed to talk to the Commerce Professor the next day.
                              
 On the appointed day, Rajam Sastrigal was waiting near the Gemini bus stop, along with his daughter. I took them to the college. There was a motley crowd of trendy girls, walking along, as if on a fashion parade. Rajam was feeling shy since he was in his usual attire. With obvious hesitation, he told me that he would wait near the gate with his daughter. I entered the college wading through the heavy crowd and went to the English department to meet Dr.Vijayalakshmi. She took me to the commerce department and introduced me to the professor, who went through the mark sheet and was apparently happy. She informed me that the girl would get admission, but it was difficult to get a B.Com seat. I was naturally disappointed. Suddenly there was a lot of commotion in the ground floor to announce the arrival of the Principal and the members of the admission committee. I was instructed to wait for sometime.

After sometime, out of curiosity, I went near the verandah and glanced at the ground floor. To my surprise, I saw Rajam coming out of Principal’s room. He too saw me and signaled to me to come down. I did go down and he showed me the admission card. As I stood surprised and puzzled, he told me calmly what had happened.  As he was waiting, the principal madam saw him as he was wishing her. He was beckoned to her chamber through a peon. Straightaway, his daughter was given the admission card. I learnt that day how the VIP cult works!

Shahabad Ramakrishnan

No comments:

Post a Comment