Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Memories rewound in TAHS -2 RBI Sridhar

  • After finishing the sumptuous marriage lunch, I straight ran to the school for attending the class. It was around 2.30PM, the class was going on in a serious mood and the class teacher was none other than GS who was strict in his own way. I waited outside the class and the non-detail on Three Muskteers was in progress. A serious mood for GS and he did not even look out to see me. When the class got over and GS came out to enquire why I was late. When I started telling him about the purpose, he asked me whether I came to school to study or attending marriages for lunch? A great question for him, a dilemma to answer for me at that time for lack of maturity. GS is know for his short temperament and critical analysis of every student. I kept quiet and that period went away with a small prick of his satirical approach.
Incidents are many to quote and if it is needed, the link of these mails could be combined together to make a book. With that intention I am continuing this e.mail.
Sports day used to be celebrated with gaiety in our School. As usual the sports event will start early in the morning itself and to start with the running race, hop step and jump, high jump, relay are conducted in the morning hours. As I have to come from a village, far away from the school, early morning hours are difficult to get up and come. But in spite of this, I gave my entry for the running race. Those of them who studied between the years 1961-62 might be aware of two brothers i.e. Singapore brothers Kumar and Gopal had carved their own niche in the sports field and never allowed any one to come first in any event of sports. Even then my entry was accepted and I prepared mentally to participate on that occasion. I got up in the early morning around 5.30AM and I told my grand mother that I am going to participate in the sports event. She advised me not to venture because it would be more strenuous to walk all the way from the village and go and getting tired and participate willl not bring any positive yield. Young blood with boiling mood I told her that I will go and participate and after an argument I was allowed. She insisted that I should eat at least Curd bath and go. I started filling my stomach with sumptuous curd bath (pazhayadhu) with pickle. I ate more than I need thinking that I will get stamina to run. I started walking the way towards the school. It was delayed and started running little when the stuff inside my stomach started tilting from left to right. I went to the school and it was only 3 minutes to start the race and PS Ramachandran who was the PT teacher shouted at me about my delay and said to come and stand on the starting line. With deep breath I went and took my position. I was looking on my right and left to know the familiar faces and to my surprise both Singapore brothers were there in the competition. I decided my fate on the spot and by virtue of prestige I stood firmly and when PSR blew the whistle and I started running thinking I could do some thing. The curd bath started creating a typhoon inside the system and the water that went along with that started creating a great sound in the stomach which I heard clearly. To my surprise I could see two or three contenders were behind me which convinced me that I am faster than them. At last as usual Kumar was declared first and Gopal second and Ekambaram was third. Great day. When I returned I had to face my grand mother who already predicted my failure!
 -10/12/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment